Postal Connections Assists with Tax Season
How Postal Connections can help with your Income Taxes
Your local Postal Connections store can be a big help to you this tax season. We provide clean crisp copies to ensure legal docs are legible. We have self-serve copiers for do-it-yourself jobs as well as full- service copy service for those bigger jobs. It’s a good idea to make copies of all tax documents even if you are e-filing in the event you get audited by the IRS. Keep in mind that it’s best to retain some records and forms indefinitely.
Here are some common tax filing events and the recommended time frames to retain records and tax related documents and forms (from the IRS website):
- 1. You owe additional tax and situations (2), (3), and (4), below, do not apply to you; keep records for 3 years.
- 2. You do not report income that you should report, and it is more than 25% of the gross income shown on your return; keep records for 6 years.
- 3. You file a fraudulent return; keep records indefinitely.
- 4. You do not file a return; keep records indefinitely.
- 5. You file a claim for credit or refund* after you file your return; keep records for 3 years from the date you filed your original return or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
- 6. You file a claim for a loss from worthless securities or bad debt deduction; keep records for 7 years.
- 7. Keep all employment tax records for at least 4 years after the date that the tax becomes due or is paid, whichever is later.
When you’re ready to mail those tax docs off to the IRS bring them into Postal Connections for fast service and choice of mailing/shipping options. Remember to ship or mail your taxes by Tuesday April 17th to ensure your tax package is postmarked on time.
**Not all stores offer all services, but most stores offer 30+ different services and products that will make your business and / or personal life easier.
Postal Connections of America, for all your business needs!